Coleman Red Canyon Tent Review
The Coleman Red Canyon Tent is another very popular one with a surprising low price tag. First of all it is a 3 season tent and suitable for up to 8 people to sleep in. The area of the floor space measures a big 17 by 10 feet and you can easily stand up in the it too as the center height is approximately 6 foot.
Main Features of the Red Canyon
- sleeps up to 8 people
- versatile room dividers allow you to have up to 3 separate areas
- Coleman’s exclusive Weathertec System which stands up to wet and windy weather
- easy and quick to set up (see video below)
- plenty of ventilation
- interior pockets for keeping small items
- Separate storage bags for tents, poles, and stakes
- welcome mat
- No-see-um mesh windows prevent the tiniest of bugs through
- overhead gear loft for storage
Video of Easy Set Up
- really spacious inside
- easy to set up and the poles are color coded – also easy to dismantle
- stands up to very wet weather with no leaks
- durable material and stays weatherproof for years
- no condensation – good ventilation
- very sturdy when set up
- only has one door – this is a shame considering it has separate sleeping areas and so you would want another door to prevent disturbing others
- the pegs supplied with the tent are a bit flimsy
Questions about the Coleman Red Canyon
Does the Coleman Red Canyon have separate sleeping areas?
Yes. You can create up to 3 separate rooms by using a removable wall.
What is the Weathertec Protection System?
The Coleman brand has a good reputation for producing quality weatherproof tents. This is what their protective system comprises:
- Quality Seams: all seams are fully taped (rainfly, doors, windows). The rainfly is easily attached to the poles with velcro to keep it in place.
- Fabric: the tent material has been coated with waterproofing and also has an anti-wicking thread, webbing, and zippers which means they will last longer and stand up to extreme summer weather.
- Floor Seams: the seams on the floor have in effect been inverted so that any needle holes are on the upper side of the floor that is inside the tent so they don’t come into contact with the outside ground.
- Zippers: zippers have an extra cuff that helps to protect the door from weather.
- Frame: the frame is manufactured to be more wind-responsive (so they give without buckling) and the arrangement of the guy-outs is optimized for tent stability.
Is this tent any good in cold weather?
This tent is a 3 season tent which means it is only suitable for Summer camping and late Spring/early Autumn. One thing I have noticed though is that the windows are mesh and therefore it can get quite cold and drafty. One customer has come up with a plan to combat this. They put towels on the outside of the window but under the rainfly and really noticed a difference – much warmer and no longer drafty.
I would certainly recommend this tent for the price. If you want a large family tent that will be stable and durable (quite a few positive reviews after 5 years of using the tent) in bad weather but don’t want to spend too much then the Coleman Red Canyon will do the job. I would definitely recommend using the towel trick to cut down on drafts and personally from the reviews I have researched I would suggest that this tent is best suited for up to 6 people rather than 8.
Also you will need to remember exactly how it is packed up in the storage bag so that you can pack it away in the same way – it seems to be quite difficult! Click here for further details.
Filed under: 8 Person Tents« « Charcoal Baked Bananas | Top 3 Eureka Canvas Tents » »
More on Tent Reviews
- Coleman Arinos 8 Person Tent Review - The Coleman Arinos 8 Person Tent is extremely versatile and popular with many camping enthusiasts. When I saw some of it's product features I could see why: 2 separate bedrooms and also a separate liv....
- Sierra Designs Wu Hu Annex Tent Review - There are two Sierra Designs Wu Hu Annex 3 season tents. One sleeping 6 called the 4+2 and the other sleeping 8 called the 6+2. The best thing about them is that they have 2 separate rooms - they cal....
- Eureka Copper Canyon 1312 Huge 8 Man Tent - The Eureka Copper Canyon 1312 is a huge tent for up to 8 people. It is really a luxury tent. Eureka is a very good brand name and produce quality tents so you would expect this one to be a top of the ....
- Eureka Titan Tent: Luxury Family Camping - Most people agree that the Eureka Titan Tent is a luxury family tent ideal for those who want to upgrade their camping experience and have an eye for detail. It is classed as a 3 season tent and so is....
- Why has the Kodaik Canvas Flex-Bow got 5 stars? - I was checking out tents that have got 5 stars from all customers reviews and came across this one - the Kodaik Canvas Flex-Bow. It is an 8 man tent so plenty big enough for a large family. I have not....